Additional Ways to Communicate with Customers
Earlier this year, we launched messaging tags to make it easier for businesses and developers to respond to customers’ questions and provide post-sale updates. Tags are a way to respond to customer actions and send messages for specific uses cases beyond the 24-hour window stated in Messenger Platform policy. The specific use cases introduced in April were shipping updates, reservation updates, and issue resolutions.
Today we’re announcing the release of the following five message tags, which include additional use cases for businesses and developers and which must be strictly limited to the sending of non-promotional content:
- Appointment Update: The APPOINTMENT_UPDATE tag may only be used to provide updates about an existing appointment. For example, when there is a change in time, a location update or a cancellation (such as when a spa treatment is canceled, a real estate agent needs to meet you at a new location or a dental office proposes a new appointment time).
- Game Event: The GAME_EVENT tag may only be used to provide an update on user progression, a global event in a game or a live sporting event. For example, when a person’s crops are ready to be collected, their building is finished, their daily tournament is about to start or their favorite soccer team is about to play.
- Transportation Update: The TRANSPORTATION_UPDATE tag may only be used to confirm updates to an existing reservation. For example, when there is a change in status of any flight, train or ferry reservation (such as “ride canceled”, “trip started” or “ferry arrived”).
- Feature Functionality Update: The FEATURE_FUNCTIONALITY_UPDATE tag may only be used to provide an update on new features or functionality that become available in a bot. For example, announcing the ability to talk to a live agent in a bot, or that the bot has a new skill.
- Ticket Update: The TICKET_UPDATE tag may only be used to provide updates pertaining to an event for which a person already has a ticket. For example, when there is a change in time, a location update or a cancellation (such as when a concert is canceled, the venue has changed or a refund opportunity is available).
Please see the developer documentation for more information.
Summary of Existing Messenger Platform Policy
As a reminder, the Messenger Platform Policy includes a 24-hour window for standard messaging and a subscription messaging beta for specific use cases. As always, all conversations between businesses and people must be initiated by the person receiving the messages.
Please view our dev docs for details on which structured messages templates can be sent beyond the 24 hour policy.
We look forward to seeing how you use these new tags to connect and provide additional support with your valued customers on Messenger.